Hello YM blog readers,
This whole school year, we have been studying the book of James. One BIG take away from our study of James this year has been: a heart transformed by the Gospel leads to a transformed life. So, as a youth group, we kicked off the Micah 6:8 Project with this year’s focus on homelessness. We educated our youth group. Thanks to Patricia Chen who came to speak to us and to share her wealth of knowledge and love of God’s people to God’s people. We educated our church thanks to Pastor Wayne Walker of OurCalling. This was followed by a 3-week fundraising where all the proceeds go to OurCalling.
We are so thankful. The Lord is so good in all that He does and in all that He calls us to do! We are also so proud of these teenagers! While this was not an easy project to plan for the church, we are so thankful for what God did:
- $2,254.77 were raised!
- ~200 blessings bags were given to the congregation
- We’ve had countless conversations about homelessness and those who are without a home.
- Some of our seniors and SGLs have gone to serve at OurCalling!
- Our 7th grade girls are organizing themselves to serve at a homeless shelter next school year.
- A few women from our church are trying to get trained by OurCalling to serve at OurCalling.
- A woman is trying to gather clean plastic bags (and without holes) to crochet into a BIG duffle bag for OurCalling to give away to their itinerant clients so that they can carry all their stuff in one bag.
- A family in our congregation saw a man on the street and saw the car in front of them pass out a blessings bag from our church to him. They were able to have a good conversation with their children about homelessness and our role as believers.
- The youth were mobilized. They saw the impact they could have on the church. They learned a huge lesson on what it looks like to serve – people may not always be kind, but we are always called to be faithful. They saw what it looked like to simply be faithful to what God has called us to do. They saw God take our faithfulness and multiply it into something HUGE. They also experienced that they are capable of making HUGE impact!
This is what we have been doing for the past few months! Thank you for praying for us.