We wanted to keep you up-to-date on some of the dangers that our kids may come across as they become teenagers. Of course, these dangers are not limited to teenagers. Children and adults alike can fall into these dangers so do be aware. There are just a couple of websites I would like for you to have access to so that you can engage in conversations with your children about making wise choices, about being good stewards, etc.
As you click on these websites, please do not freak out at your teens and please do not keep your children away from the world. Freaking out and yelling will not help. We are called to be salt and light in the world (Matthew 5:13-16) and that only works if we are teaching our children to think and to process through the filter that is God. SO, please do the following:
- Engage them about the danger of these things
- Go through the process of talking to them – asking them about what they think, whether they have seen/heard of this,
- Go through the guiding process of teaching them to make wise choices rooted in God and His Scriptures.
- Pray daily (and as many times as they enter your mind) for them – our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places (Ephesians 6:12 ESV).
It does take effort, but I promise you, parents, the return is great!
- Drugs: https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/emerging-trends-alerts
- This website is a government website. It is updated frequently and, often times, before the new drug hits the news. This link will bring you to the “Emerging Trends and Alerts” page, but there is a menu bar on the side and you can look at all the drugs. This page here has the new drugs that have been out in the recent years. They are cheap and dangerous. Please do take a look.
- Social Media: http://www.familyeducation.com/fun/mobile-apps/safety-beyond-facebook-12-social-media-apps-every-parent-should-know-about
- Social Media is constantly changing. We will try to keep you posted on it, but this is a helpful website to refer to. They tend to keep up with a lot of the apps that parents need to know about.
- Gangs: https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/gang-related-news
- This is also a government website. While gangs may feel like it’s a thing of the past, they are very much still present. This website will give you any gang related news divided by state.
We are praying for you and for our teenagers!